I was born in the Rhondda and, except for four years at University of Wales, Aberystwyth, I have always lived in our community. I have worked as an English teacher in a local Welsh-medium secondary school for nineteen years. I joined the Liberal Democrats because I believe in the values of liberty, equality and community. I want to see a positive, pro-European alternative to the other parties and will campaign and fight for the public services our community deserves.
I have political experience in the following:
- Trade Union representative for a school in Porth.
- School Governor for a school in Pentre.
- Executive officer and Secretary Rhondda Labour Party.
- Vast campaigning and canvassing experience, including during the Scottish Independence campaign, EU referendum and protecting services at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.
- Executive member, RCT Liberal Democrats since 2022.
If elected as the MP for Pontypridd I will:
- Highlight the crisis in the health service where the lack of access to community dentistry, long hospital waiting lists and scarcity of GP appointments is dangerous and unfair.
- Demand better funding for public services from the UK and Welsh governments.
- Focus on education and listen to local parents’ and pupils’ concerns about schooling in the constituency.
- Argue for free bus travel for under 25s to make educational and employment opportunities more accessible.
- Work to force Welsh Labour and Plaid Cymru to use the extra money received from the UK government to expand the free childcare offer available to parents in Wales.
- Support the Liberal Democrats ambitious Net Zero 2045 target. Work with the community and local government to develop a woodland strategy with increased tree coverage in urban areas and new housing developments.
- Make our streets safer by seeking investment in community policing. Funding for the equivalent of two extra police officers per ward. Prioritise tackling anti-social behaviour in Pontypridd and our villages.
- Seek funding to invest in our high streets to attract shoppers and new local businesses.
- Promote the case for proportional representation for all elections, including UK general elections.
- Always defend and celebrate human rights, diversity and civil liberties.